A place for therapists concerned about the Coronavirus. Offering community, initiatives, resources, and signposting to useful information.
PCP has created The Therapist Hub to keep all therapists up to date with the latest COVID-19 developments. The people representing our member groups include university-based therapy academics; senior counsellors; psychotherapists; supervisors; trainers; examiners; a former chair of UKCP; the NCS – a PSA accredited professional body; and the Psychotherapy and Counselling Union who are already making representations to the Government on our behalf and requesting BACP, UKCP and BCP do the same. We also have amongst our number Elizabeth Cotton of Surviving Work, who holds national data on therapists’ income and employment conditions. All are experienced, individually and collaboratively, in running agile, responsive projects both within our profession and beyond it.
PCP has already mobilised a number of initiatives to support therapists through the Covid-19 crisis:
Initiatives from PCP and our Partner organisations:
- Clare Slaney of PCSR is offering free, daily online meetings for therapists to discuss their concerns, and will continue to do this for at least the next two weeks. They will continue to take place on Skype at 8am. Contact Clare on Twitter at https://twitter.com/clareslaney or alternatively email PCP at email@example.com
- PCP have written to BACP, UKCP and BPC asking them to Scrap SCoPEd in light of current circumstances (see our news pages)
- Free Psychotherapy Network is running a free online support group for people isolated by the coronavirus on Saturday mornings, 11am-12.30pm https://freepsychotherapynetwork.com/2020/03/22/online-support-group-for-people-isolated-by-the-corona-virus-covid19/
- The Person-Centred Association is running online groups for the person-centred community ‘Connecting and Sharing our Experiences of Living in this Unique Time’ on a Tuesday and Thursday 7pm-8.30pm. For information and to book a place, please email Emanuela Ciciotti and Teri Tivey: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
- The Psychotherapy and Counselling Union have sent an open letter to BACP, UKCP, BPC and NCS. PCP orgs fully support the work of PCU as they continue to represent the interests of counsellors and psychotherapists at this difficult time. Their letter can be found here.
- Surviving Work is providing us with the latest up-to-date information on benefits and finances which we are posting in The Therapist Hub. Surviving Work is a resource for working people and carries out research in the mental health To see the results of the national survey of working conditions in the mental health sector go to http://www.thefutureoftherapy.org
- Counsellors Together UK will be holding a counsellors’ support group in their Facebook group every Monday and Thursday at 7.30pm.
Upcoming Events for Therapists
- Clare Slaney will be holding daily online meetings for therapists at 8am (see above for details)
- Counsellors Together UK will be holding support sessions in their Facebook group every Monday and Thursday at 7.30pm.
- Free Psychotherapy Network weekly support groups (see above)
- The Person Centred Association groups (see above)
- On Thursday 26th March 10am – 12pm: OnlineEvents will be hosting an online supervision group for supervisors, with Joan Wilmot and Robin Shohet, supporting supervisors to support supervisees in unprecidented times. Register here: https://mailchi.mp/onlinevents/march-5th-2020-upcoming-online-cpd-events-2590530
- Kate Anthony of The Online Therapy Institute is offering her telehealth course for drastically reduced rates and FREE to students, volunteers and unwaged therapists (including recently unwaged due to Covid-19): https://www.kateanthony.net/shortcoursementalhealth/
- Free one-day online workshop on Relational Depth with Mick Cooper and Onlinevents – Saturday 4th April https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/relational-depth-in-counselling-and-psychotherapy-mick-cooper-tickets-100165387370
- Free Covid-19 critical incident discussions for counsellors and psychotherapists, Saturdays 2pm-3pm. Further information about the facilitator, Maya Patrizia Gagni, can be found at https://www.counsellingandpsychotherapyuk.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org People can simply join the Zoom meeting by following this link https://us04web.zoom.us/j/791367087 no booking necessary – simply turn up.
- From Onlinevents, a range of online workshops and CPD specifically created in response to Covid-19 available here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/onlineventscouk-428528850
Up-to-date Information and Advice
We will keep this section updated with the latest Government and professional body advice.
- Latest Government Advice: https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/coronavirus-covid-19-uk-government-response
- NHS Guidelines: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- From our partner organisation, NCS: https://www.nationalcounsellingsociety.org/about-us/important-news
- From BACP: https://www.bacp.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/faqs-about-coronavirus/
- for students and trainers: https://www.bacp.co.uk/news/news-from-bacp/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-training/
- for self-employed therapists: https://www.bacp.co.uk/news/news-from-bacp/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-your-business/
- From UKCP: https://www.psychotherapy.org.uk/ukcp-news/midweek-mindset/information-about-coronavirus-covid-19/
- Covid Mutual Aid Group: a register of over 900 local support groups and resources on how to look after yourself https://covidmutualaid.org/
- Coronavirus Tech Handbook: crowdsourced information resource including advice on isolation, remote working and online meeting and event alternatives https://coronavirustechhandbook.com/
Information and guidance on working online
- The latest information from ACTO (The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online): https://acto-org.uk/covid-19-coronavirus-advice-from-acto-for-clients-and-non-acto-therapists/
- BACP’s updated information: https://www.bacp.co.uk/workingonline
- UKCP guidance: https://www.psychotherapy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Psychotherapeutic-practice-and-working-in-isolation.pdf
- Therapist Ruth Allen of White Peak Wellbeing has created a handy guide for moving our practices online, which can be found here: http://whitepeakwellbeing.com/moving-your-practice-online
- A Guide to using Zoom software from the Academy for Online Counselling and Psychotherapy: https://cdn.website-editor.net/3ba3f38e70fc4fe8900a42d4fe5cd454/files/uploaded/ACADEMY%2520Getting%2520set%2520up%2520with%2520Zoom.pdf
- Working online with Children and Young People by Catherine Knibbs: https://medium.com/@catherineknibbs/what-are-the-issues-to-consider-working-online-with-children-young-people-during-covid-19-66cd53254d58
- Onlinevents with Kate Dunn and Carole Francis-Smith – Coronavirus: Considering our Responses and Responsibilities https://www.onlinevents.co.uk/behind-the-screen-event-series-video-replays/
- Interview between Josephine Hughes and Stephen Goss of the Online Therapy Institute (available to members of the Good Enough Counsellors Facebook group): https://www.facebook.com/GoodEnoughCounsellors/posts/2417908135091717
Information about Benefits
Universal Credit/ESA & Self-Employment
Unite/ACAS advice on redundancy, reduced working and home working: https://unitetheunion.org/campaigns/coronavirus-covid-19-advice/
We are looking to increase our resources and help as many therapists as possible. Please share any relevant resources with us at email@example.com and share the #PCPTherapistHub widely. Thank you.